Wednesday, February 27, 2013

It's already been a week!


First day of soccer practice

"Sweet freedom!"

It's been a busy week at our house, but what's new?! Micah started soccer practice on Sunday afternoon and really loved it. His first game this this Saturday. It's so funny to watch these little ones "playing". Everyone is running after the ball, until an airplane goes overhead and then they all stop and look up for a few minutes, then back to the game! Now if Micah could just remember not to pick up the ball with his hands, he'll be doing well :-)

I got to see Dan's show on Monday evening and it was great, as usual. It was a series of one-acts by Horton Foote that were all connected by the theme of dancing. The first was funny, the second was touching and the third was a tear-jerker.

On Monday I had to take Jacob back to the Dr. since he started wheezing over the weekend. She said we need to put him back on the rescue inhaler (albuterol) until this cold passes and also on an everyday, once-a-day inhaler (Flovent) Poor kid. He already hates the inhaler so getting him to do both is a challenge. One of his ear tubes has also shifted and he had an infection coming on there, so he's also on an antibiotic. I feel bad putting him on so much stuff, but the inhalers really make a difference in his breathing, I can tell. Plus, he is not coughing at night. She said that not every child who has asthma (Yes, she called it that) at age 2 will have it for the rest of his or her life. So there is some encouragement that this could be temporary. I have to be honest, I was pretty discouraged by this news. I've seen kids suffer with this condition and not be able to participate in things they want to (At Micah's practice this week, one little boy had to leave because his asthma was acting up.) No one wants that for their child. And it's hard to hear his breathing so harsh especially in the morning. But I am grateful for the medications we have to treat this and it doesn't seem to affect his cheerfulness. In fact, Jacob was the life of the waiting room at the Dr.'s office, alternating between running his hands under the water fountain and running around telling everyone hello and smiling at them :-) He is good at making friends. The meds do hype him up and we are currently trying to find a good time for the daycare nurse to give him his afternoon treatment so that is doesn't interfere with him going down for naptime. The photo above was taken right before bathtime, which is right after I give him the treatment. I took off his clothes except for the diaper so I could get him in the tub, but he escaped, ripped off his diaper and began running around the house laughing and waving it over his head like a banner :-) I could have won $10,000 if I'd have filmed it for America's Funniest Home Videos, but it since there were no clothes involved, I decided to just post this "family-friendly" shot above :-) If anyone has any tips for getting him used to the inhaler, please send them. We are currently trying it in front of the TV and with small treats afterward so he has a positive association. But he still fights it.

Tuesday morning Dan was supposed to go to his week-long conference, but instead I woke up throwing up. Soooo, he is postponing his trip. Thankfully it was just a 24-hour thing and I'm back at work today. Everyone else seems ok so I hope they don't get it. I'm just glad it hit before he left and not right after!

It's already been a week here. I hope everyone else is staying warm and healthy!



No comments: