Monday, August 16, 2010

This One's for Aunt Helen!





What do you do when it's 103 degrees outside and you have a energy-filled toddler? We found one solution to the problem this weekend! We brought out a video game toy that Aunt Helen got for Micah for Christmas. You hook up the game mat to the TV screen. The child stands on the mat and can play different games by running in place, pressing shapes and colors on the mat and lots more. The movement the child does on the mat correspond to a little snimal on the screen that moves around when the child does. When we first tried it out a few months ago, M didn't quite understand the connection between what was happening on the screen and what he was doing with his feet and hands. But this time around, he really enjoyed it. In fact, we had to bring it out on Saturday and Sunday! It was so cute to see him running in place while "racing" himself, or playing the shape and color games. (I am proud to say that he now knows all of his basic shapes and most of the colors, but he still gets red and brown confused :-)) We really enjoy our outside time on the weekends, but since we couldn't do that this weekend, this game was a real sanity saver!

In just 3 short months M will be 3! Just yesterday I was sitting on the couch wrapped in a bathrobe because I was cold (A/C was cranked up) and he came over and asked if I was ok. I told him I was fine, just cold. He said "Does your nose hurt?" And I said, "No, I don't have a cold, I am cold." Apparently there was some miscommunication anyway since he went into the kitchen, retrieved a cold pack from the frig, and then placed it gingerly on my nose saying "It's better, Mama?" I tell you, these "Terrible Twos" can be awfully sweet sometimes :-)

No comments: