Thursday, October 2, 2008

Let them eat cake!

Feeling a bit blue...
"Didn't your mother ever tell you it's not polite to point?"

Yesterday when I picked Micah up and kissed his head, I smelled a familiar scent. No, not the daycare worker's perfume...frosting. The fact that his hands were blue confirmed my suspicions. Someone had had a first birthday and all the kids ate cake that the mom had brought in. Well, I wasn't too happy. Dan and I had decided that Micah wasn't going to have cake until his first birthday in ths spirit of saving some "firsts" for us and also of delaying that addiction we all have to refined sugars. Instead, I picked little pieces of vanilla cake out of his hair while I oohed and aahed over the daycare teachers cell phone photos of Micah covered in blue frosting (before their attempts at wiping him clean.) You can see a bit of the frosting in his hair that we could not remove in the first picture. To the daycare's credit, I just didn't think to tell them not to feed him anything that we hadn't supplied from home, and I guess they thought a little nip wouldn't hurt. At the end of the day, I figured, let him eat cake. I mean, you're only young once :-) And who wants to be the only kid on the block without the "cool blue stuff" that you can eat? We'll just have to make sure when it comes time for Micah's 1st birthday, the frosting isn't of the indigo variety.

This second picture just illustrates Micah's love for pointing at everything and anything.

No comments: