Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Mixed Feelings and a Very (Very) Early Morning

We had a rough night with Jacob last night, probably one of the hardest since he's passed infancy. His longest stretch of sleep was 1.5 hrs. This is after Tylenol and teething tablets, which brought about that one, blessed stretch and which is why I am still functioning this morning. And he only wanted mama, didn't want daddy to hold him at all. He just wanted to lay his head right up under my chin, hand cradling my throat where the vibrations of humming soothed his aches and pains. The other hand was stuffed in his mouth, the resulting drool soaking my shirt. In these moments when I'm tired and anxious, I sometimes resent the lack of sleep. But I fight that. From the moment we take our first breath to the moment we take our last, life is full of hard things. One of the great pleasures in life is to be held tightly in loving arms. Sometimes that's physical, sometimes spiritual. But that simple act can distract us from a world of pain. They say that if adults were to experience the same pain that teething babies do, we would be popping narcotics. The nighttime is always much worse. So I keep on rocking and hugging and humming and praying. I'm thankful that he seemed much better after breakfast and getting in the car to go to school. I know people who are dealing with much worse. Last night is a blessing in comparison. I have hope that tonight will be better, but if not, mama's late night consolation service will be open for business :-)

No comments: