Friday, February 6, 2009

"Arkansas, Arkansas, I just love 'ol Arkansas"

It's no secret that the state of Arkansas isn't necessarily our favorite place on earth, but I'm making a concerted effort to find a few things out about it (and taking it upon myself to educate the readers). For starters, here are a few interesting facts (thank you ezine.com, butlerwebs.com, history.com):
  • It's the only state in North America where diamonds have been mined. You can still hunt for diamonds yourself at Crater of Diamonds State Park.
  • AR has over 2 million acres of forests and 600,000 acres of lakes--a couple reasons what it's called "The Natural State"
  • AR is the home state of my former boss in MS. Ironically, TX, where we used to live is the home state of my former boss in Illinois. As you can see, I'm starting a trend! My AR boss' home state is Iowa. How d'ya like them apples?
  • Al Capone and his gang regularly visited Hot Springs.
  • Johnny Cash was from AR.
  • "Favorite" AR native slogan: "Thank God for Mississippi" (This references the fact tha MS is last in lots of national catagories like child wellness and income per capita, whereas AR is 49th)
  • AR has a state insect--the honeybee.
  • The World Championship Duck Calling Contest is held in AR.
  • Wal-Mart was founded and has headquarters here.
  • AR is also the home of a very cute baby named Micah :-)

As you can see, not all of these things are positive, but some of them are. I'm trying, people. Baby steps...baby steps...

No comments: